Thursday, August 7, 2008

let's play with ribbon

So as promised, I am sharing some of the fun stuff I learned at my classes at CKC. Today, I am sharing some fun things from my ribbon class with you. I had a duh moment with almost all of the techniques we learned. Some were very simple, others more complex.
The first ribbon technique I want to share is this simple french board style tag pocket. To achieve this look, all you need to do is cross two (or more) ribbons adhering them at the ends only.

Another super easy ribbon treatment is with this one we did on this puffy sticker. Think about this on chipboard too. For this, we started with one end of the ribbon and attached it to the back of the sticker and crossed it over the front of the flower going between each petal with a slight rotation in the back of the flower.

I think this flower brad technique was my favorite! This was just a bit more complex than the other two. This one was done is by opening the brad prongs all the way lifting them off the back of the gem slightly. You don't have to use a gem brad though. In the center of the ribbon, pinch your ribbon bit and twist a few times. Tuck the ribbon under one of the prongs and push the prong back into it's original position flat against the gem. Repeat this for the other prong. Make a third ribbon twist and place this one in the center. Arrange the ribbon petals and clean up the edges.

And some reminders of some techniques that have been around the block a few times:
  • photo corners, wrap a bit of ribbon around the corner of a photo attaching the ends to the back
  • knots, use a loose double knot for another look
  • tie on a group of ribbon with a longer srtip of ribbon (as shown on the letter D here)

And here is my completed project from this SEI class at CKC. I love these word books!

9 comments:

Lynn said...

WOW! What an adorable project!!! Love all the papers & embellishments you've used...super cute!!!

Lynn Put said...

This is really pretty! The designer papers and ribbons you used are lovely!

Kristine said...

Wow!
Nice tutorial! I'll keep it in mind!
Hugs from Norway
Kristine

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful! That book looks like it took forever to make. I haven't played around with chipboard much but maybe one day I will get around to it. Great job!

Cris A said...

Awesome book! I love all the embellishments!

CathyRose said...

Your friends book turned out beautifully! Love all the little embellishments you used!

Jenn Borjeson said...

This is awesome, Joyclynn! I've been reading your blog but couldn't comment or you'd know I was your DSS! LOL You make some beautiful projects, and I look forward to chatting with you more!
Peace, Jenn

Unknown said...

I've seen these little books EVERYWHERE, but have yet to buy one. I'm totally intimidated by them! Nice work on yours though!

Anonymous said...

The flowers with the ribbons around it are beautiful. The album is great. I've been looking at these but haven't tried one yet.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Heather
scrappinmominky